TITLE: Parish Administrator
REPORTS TO: Priest in charge
STATUS: Part-Time (25 hours per week)
HOURS: Monday- Friday 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
SALARY: $30,000-$34,000, commensurate with experience
VACATION: 2 weeks paid vacation
St. Thomas’ Parish is congregation of about 100 people located in the Dupont Circle of Washington DC. The Parish Administrator (PA) will oversee the efficient and effective operation of the administrative support functions of St. Thomas’ Parish, while serving as the first-line representative of the parish through interactions with those who visit, call, email, or otherwise contact the parish. The PA works closely with the Priest in charge, Bookkeeper, and parish leaders to manage the business affairs of the parish including, but not limited to, the areas of finance and accounting, risk management, human resources, facility management, staff management, strategic planning, and communication. The PA seeks to provide a safe and professional environment, to run an efficient and economical parish, and to facilitate organizational communication. This is a part-time position requires approximately 25 hours per week; some weekend and night work may be required throughout the year.
- Demonstrated leadership and creativity
- Strong oral, written, verbal and interpersonal communication
- Proven ability to manage/supervise others, including volunteers
- Strong integrity, honesty and confidentiality
- Ability to take initiative and make decisions under the pressure of deadlines
- Ability to work with parishioners and community members with diverse personalities and strong opinions
- Knowledge of general financial accounting including financial controls
- Competent in all major office software processing, spreadsheets and database management.
- Attention to detail and highly organized
- Able to multitask and prioritize projects
- Answer the church phone during office hours, providing information, taking messages and transferring to staff as appropriate
- Greet visitors and assist them with inquiries as needed, updating the Priest in Charge and maintaining confidentiality as applicable
- In consultation with the Priest in Charge and applicable other staff, coordinate and produce accurate documents, including service bulletins, email blasts, electronic newsletter, prayer list, volunteer schedules, and contribution statements
- Facilities management, including oversight of scheduling church building rooms and programming events calendar, as well as building use rental agreements and payments
- Assist with parish financial management by making bank deposits on a weekly basis, tracking dedicated gifts, and preparing check requests for parish bookkeeper
- Maintain current files for all vendors
- In partnership with the Priest in Charge, maintain accurate church records, including official register, parish directory and membership database, annual parochial report, letters of transfer, vestry minutes, and annual reports
- Update the church website, church database, online calendar regularly, maintaining current and correct information
- Organize workflow and maintain a tidy and usable office environment as to enable effective use of volunteers
- Assist in coordination of special events
- Provide administrative support to the Priest in Charge
- Supervise maintenance of office machinery (copier, phones, etc.), arranging repair visits when necessary
- Coordinate and order supplies for church and parish staff, filing timely documentation for payment with bookkeeper
- Recruit, train and organize volunteers to assist with administrative projects and publications as needed
Minimum Qualifications and Expectations
- Minimum 2 years of office experience is required
- Successfully complete a comprehensive background check
- Fulfill all requirements of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington for training and certification in avoiding sexual harassment and abuse.
- Experience working with the public, preferably in a church or religious setting.
- Background in a liturgical church (Episcopal, Methodist, Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Orthodox, Anglican) a benefit, with Episcopal church experience a particular plus
- Willingness to occasionally work a varying work schedule
- BA or higher degree
How to apply
To apply, please submit the following information via email to email@example.com. Please include:
- A cover letter that conveys what excites you about this career opportunity and why you would be a great fit.
- Your resume highlighting relevant experience, accomplishments, education, and personal interests.
- We want to get to know you a bit. Please provide brief answers to the following questions:
– What three words best describe you?
– What is the most important characteristic of your ideal work environment?